Dan C. Guthrie, Jr.
Dan C. Guthrie, Jr. is a white collar defense attorney based in Dallas, Texas. He is a former state and federal prosecutor who has extensive jury trial experience. For over 25 years he has been recognized as a Martindale Hubble Preeminent Lawyer which is determined by evaluations from fellow lawyers. Mr. Guthrie has also been honored as a Top 100 Trial Lawyer by The American Trial Lawyer's Association in 2013 and 2014.
For over thirty-three years his practice has focused on the defense of white collar federal grand jury investigations and the aggressive defense at trial of indictments throughout the United States. (See Representative Cases) Mr. Guthrie also is an attorney for whistleblowers seeking rewards for information of significant criminal wrongdoing.
Independent and proactive, he is a "hands on" lawyer who believes that no stone should be left unturned in order to effectively represent his clients.
Mr. Guthrie works with teams of forensic accountants, computer forensic experts and investigators who were formerly Special Agents with the FBI and IRS. He uses the latest technology available to investigate and analyze all forms of Electronically Stored Information (ESI) and routine handles complex cases with voluminous documents. Mr. Guthrie is able to cut through complicated facts, accounting practices and business relationships to evaluate even the most complex case as it would be seen through the eyes of a government prosecutor or investigator. After this thorough investigation and review, he will devise and implement an effective defensive strategy to maximize the protection of his client.
Mr. Guthrie is very aware of the tremendous damage to a person or company's reputation resulting from an indictment, even if there is an acquittal later. Because of this awareness, he is very thorough and complete in his investigation and representation in order to do everything possible to stop an indictment from happening.
He has defended board chairmen, CEOs, CFOs, doctors, law firms, individual lawyers, politicians, CPAs, entrepreneurs, preachers, companies (both public and private) and other individuals against a variety of complex white collar criminal allegations including conspiracy, securities fraud, mail fraud, wire fraud, bank fraud, bankruptcy fraud, RICO, money laundering, bribery, tax fraud, government contract fraud, immigration fraud, customs violations, health care fraud, Corrupt Foreign Practices Act (CFPA) charges, campaign contribution violations, criminal antitrust violations and civil and criminal forfeitures.
He also has lectured and written articles in areas of white collar criminal defense and has been recognized by his peers as one of America's Preeminent Lawyers with the highest possible AV rating from Martindale-Hubble.
Dan earned his J.D. in 1974 from the University of Texas. He received his B.A. in 1971 from Rice University with majors in economics and accounting.
Dan is a member of the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Texas, the Dallas Bar Association, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyer's Association, and the Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit. He also serves on the American Bar Association's White Collar Crime Committee. He is admitted to practice in the Northern District of Texas, the Southern District of Texas, the District of Arizona, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, the United States Tax Court, and the Supreme Court of the United States. Dan can be admitted to practice before any federal district court that enables him to handle federal cases anywhere in the United States.
- White Collar Crime
- IRS Tax fraud investigations
- SEC fraud defense matters
- FOREX trading defense
- Corporate fraud defense
- Criminal antitrust defense
- Whistleblower's Representation
- White Collar Defense
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- J.D. - 1974
- Rice University
- B.A. - 1971
- Major: Economics and Accounting
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Dallas Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyer's Association, Member
- Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit, Member
- American Bar Association's White Collar Crime Committee
- AV Preeminent rated* lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell
- Top 100 Trial Lawyer by The National Trial Lawyers
- Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters
- The Best Lawyers in America
Classes & Seminars
- Lecturer, White Collar Criminal Defense
- Editor, The White Collar Defense Report TM